The Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park (the museum) is a multiple award winning museum of mining and industry situated on the site of former Lithgow State Coal Mine. The museum is operated by The City of Greater Lithgow Mining Museum Inc (CGLMM), a registered charity and deductible gift recipient. This volunteer led charity is managed by a Board of nine Directors elected from members of CGLMM. These Directors carry a high level of responsibility to manage the organisation in accordance with the requirements of the Charitable Collections Act.
The museum is a complex and multi-faceted operation responsible for showcasing the industrial history of the New South Wales Western Coalfield. Responding to the need for positive cash flows to manage the museum the Board has developed multiple business activities, including:
• Museum operations such as regular tourist visitation, and tours by special interest groups and schools,
• Leasing of studio spaces to artists and artisans,
• Hire of the site for weddings and wedding receptions,
• Hire of the site for community celebrations and events,
• Hire of the site for commercial photography and film making,
• Hire of the site for corporate and workplace training,
• Publication of mining histories.
In 2019 the Board of Directors developed a new vision for the museum. This vision reflects the importance of broad community engagement with the museum and its activities.
The vision of Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park is to create a vital and living community and economic asset by:
• Conserving and interpreting Lithgow’s industrial and mining heritage,
• Sharing stories of miners and their families in ways that engage with all audiences,
• Supporting the development of a strong creative arts sector in Lithgow by providing spaces for creation and celebration of the arts,
• Providing a place for celebration of individual and community life events, milestones and achievements.
Our mission is to:
• Responsibly manage the business needs and regulatory requirements of The City of Greater Lithgow Mining Museum Inc.,
• Develop, improve and manage the Lithgow State Mine Museum,
• Manage and improve the capacity of the State Mine Site to host weddings and community events,
• Manage museum operations and promote the Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park as a tourism destination, and wedding and events venue,
• Partner with museums and arts organisations to ensure the best outcomes for the Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park.